Pages

Friday, January 5, 2018

Vision Boards

What’s a better way to start off the year than setting all your goals out in front of you for you to see and be reminded day after day? This is what a vision board does for you. There is just something about putting your goals out there into the universe that helps you focus on achieving them. You may not even think about it but it’s been put out there.

These were all our supplies. We didn't use any markers or crayons but had them just in case.


Several years ago, I made one and thought it was silly at the time. I did it in a therapy session when I was working on my depression. I put pictures of things I liked out of the magazines they had including an image of a renaissance style dress. At the time, I only dreamed of going to the renaissance fair or even just owning the gorgeous dresses of the time period. Now I have been to the Kentucky Renn Fair four separate times in the last 4 years. I skipped one year when we were in the thick of my daughter’s health concerns but went twice when my son was a baby. More proof of their power, I put images that made me think of motherhood when I was struggling with infertility and pregnancy loss. I’m obviously now a mother of two wonderful kiddos. I put the energy and desire out there and the universe helped provide me the opportunities to fulfill my dreams.

So focused on cutting the pictures apart. He did an amazing job with the scissors.


Even better is the opportunity to bond with family. Even kids benefit from making a vision board. Younger kids need a little guidance on what to put on their board but that just makes it a great time to talk with your children and figure out what they want to do with their lives. My son is only 3.5 years old but we sat down together and made a list of the things he is interested in. I gave some leading but he came up with the ideas. He even decided he wants to learn about cheetahs, tigers, giraffes, and zebras this year. I only had to ask if he wanted to learn about animals and which animals he wanted to learn about. He also added wanting to learn to read and learn about money and pennies to his list.

He worked so hard to make sure every piece was glued down just right. 


I then went and found pictures that represent this for him to choose from to prepare. He is only 3 so he is easily distracted. If I let him go through and cut stuff out of magazines like I or my mom did, he would end up with a beautiful picture but nothing goal oriented. He still helped me pick out which images he wanted when we did a Google search. He even helped me cut them out and was so excited to show off his amazing scissor skills. We also sat down together and cut out a few images from one of his old high lights magazines. He pointed to the pictures and told me why he wanted that image and how it related to his goals.

The boy's vision board


I focused on eating healthier, being more active, growing my own food, and decluttering and simplifying my life and home. I also added the suitcase for my desire to do a little bit of traveling this year. In the center is my desire to maintain my 4.0 GPA. I honestly will be happy with a 3.75 but since this is about my dreams, I might as well shoot for the stars. Family is always and important focus of my life and I’m hoping to start a journey towards finding love.

My vision board


My mom is still working on hers. She has been sick this week so she is only working for 5-10 minutes at a time before going back to bed. I will add her in once she is finished.

Overall it was a great activity to work on together as a family. It will be interesting to see how the next year progresses as each of us work towards our goals.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Vision Board Instructions
_____________________

Materials-

-Some old magazines and/or images printed out that you like
-A piece of poster board or cardstock per person
-Scissors
-Glue stick
-Markers and/or crayons, optional
-Your dreams and goals

Instructions

1. Gather all your old magazines and cut any images and words that call out to you and embody your dreams and goals. Cut out anything and everything that appeals to you for now. You may not use all of it but you will decide that later.

2. Lay out your cut outs on your piece of cardstock or poster board so that you fit everything you want in a visually pleasing way. I like laying it out before gluing it all down so that I can tweak the layout easily. This is where you decide exactly what you want to go on your board. As I said above, you may not use everything you cut out. If you cut 3 images of a guitar, you may only want to put one on your board.

3. Glue everything in place on your board. Glue sticks make this easier but you can use regular liquid white glue. It will just take longer to dry and might wrinkle your magazine cut outs. Make sure to let it sit flat to dry completely. We found a place on our shelves for each of ours to sit overnight. You can also write or draw anything you couldn't find in magazines or print-outs. We didn't do any of this but it is definitely an option.

4. You’re done! We are going to hang ours in our rooms where we can see them daily. I will put my son’s on his wall at his level. You can toss it in the back of your closet if you want. It really is all up to you. The most important thing is making it to get your desires out there for the universe.

That’s it. Not a lot to it but it’s a powerful tool. And definitely a great way to start the New Year off. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Journey So Far

How it All Started “When you hear hooves, you expect horses, not zebras” An old saying that dates back to the 1940’s. It was intend...